In the past there was virtually no effective option for cancer of the pancreas and liver. Even today, the progression of the disease will only be slowed down with very low cure rates.
What proton therapy can work for:
- Pancreatic cancer
-Pre-operative & Post-operative therapy
– Can be used in combination with chemotherapy
- Liver Cancer -Primary Hepatocellular Carcinoma
Incredibly high doses of radiation are needed to destroy liver and pancreas tumours, far higher than can be tolerated by healthy tissue. Therefore only a low radiation dose can be used, which is insufficient to completely destroy the tumour.
Proton beam therapy’s pinpoint accuracy destroys the tumour with high dosages of radiation without affecting the surrounding healthy tissue, resulting in few side effects.
Benefits of Proton Therapy:
- Reduces radiation exposure to the spinal cord by 78%
- Reduces radiation exposure to the liver by 55%
- Reduces unnecessary radiation exposure to the kidney by 23%